Samaritans is the social initiatives club of MDI Gurgaon. The vision of the club is to harness the management acumen of ManDevIans in making a difference to the society. We aim at inculcating a culture of social responsibility among aspiring managers of today through various events within MDI as well as by working with NGOs and corporate on significant projects.
Events conducted throughout the year:
AIMS Week (13th Aug – 19th Aug’2021)
Samaritans successfully accomplished various events as part of the AIMS week.
- Flower pot making and tree plantation-- PG’21 students exhibited their creativity in making a flower pot using recycling materials at their respective homes and planted a sapling. The participants shared their selfies along with the flowerpots on social media handles further promoting their good deed and encouraged others to do the same.
- Meets with different Ngo’s -- Also, Samaritans collaborated and conducted Virtual meet with various NGOs/Old Age Homes/Orphanages to raise awareness on various social issues. For instance, we conducted a Digital Awareness session for over 300+ women SHGs of Betul in MP, a soft skill development session at UnnatiBalgram NGO in Pune, we collaborated with Awaaz NGO to organize a virtual session for underprivileged children to explain what constitutes 'good touch' & 'bad touch, a virtual learning session for impoverished children on personal hygiene in collaboration with Societal Service Organization, Ludhiana.
- Independence Day (15th Aug’2021) Samaritans collaborated with Human Hope Foundation, Shimla to celebrate the Independence Day with the children of the NGO. We conducted a painting competition for these kids and also arranged for a knowledge and fun filled session. The day was enlightening as well as rejuvenating for the kids.
- Diwali collection drive (26th Oct – 4th Nov’2021) To spread smiles and happiness on the occasion of Diwali, Samaritans started a meaningful initiative wherein we organized a Collection Drive at the MDI Gurgaon campus. All the donated items like clothes, utensils, etc. was donated to Goonj, an NGO which undertakes disaster relief, humanitarian aid and community development in various parts across India. Collection boxes were put up on key locations on campus to facilitate hassle-free donation by everyone.
- Diwali Diya Distribution Drive (1st Nov’2021) As Diwali is an occasion to share joy and kindness, we Samaritans made the festival extra special this year by gifting beautiful handmade earthen diyas to all the MDI Gurgaon campus support staff members as a token of appreciation and gratitude for their hard work. The diyas were made by visually-impaired people from the members of The Blind Relief Association, Delhi. We are glad to collaborate with the organization and salute their excellent work.
- Children’s Day Samaritans hosted a meeting with kids from the NGO Be Dauntless Foundation, New Delhi, to urge them to pursue their dreams and believe in themselves. We told stories of people who overcame huge barriers to attain their goals to boost their self-esteem. In addition, the children were given gift kits containing notebooks, stationary, and chocolates. The event was conducted in partnership with Mandolins, who provided a musical backdrop to the afternoon with their varied performances. The kids were enthralled with the concert and delighted to listen to the soothing songs.
“Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love’’ With this in mind, we Samaritans have tried to do our little part and conducted many different events from showing gratitude to our helping staff to spending some quality time with elders from nearby old age home during kindness week.
- Thanksgiving gathering-We wanted to express our gratitude towards the wonderful support staff this Christmas and so a special thanksgiving gathering was organized as a gesture to spread love and thank the support staff for helping and showing kindness throughout the year. During the gathering, Samaritans gifted blankets and special Christmas snacks to all the support staff.
- Share to care-“Sharing makes you more significant than you are. The more you give to others, the more life you can receive”. With the help of our batchmates, We Samaritans organized a book donation drive and bought some new books that can help these children. All the books collected were donated to Samarpan NGO, Delhi. We helped more than 300 school-going students to learn by donating 102 books to them.
- A meet with a friend -As we know the stigma against mental health is still powerful, largely due to media stereotypes and lack of education, and people tend to ignore mental health conditions at a far higher rate. We decided to help students during these unprecedented times by organizing a one-to-one session with Dr. Jagjot Singh from Fortis hospital. Which helped students to overcome the stigma and allowed them to talk freely about their mental health.
- A day with elders-Our elders have lived through many events. And their experiences can impact our society in many ways. Seeking their counsel and giving them the respect, they deserve is essential. And it’s a great way of learning valuable lessons through first-hand experiences. Therefore, we organized a “day with the elders” at an old age home Guru vishramvridh ashram. During the event Mandolins performed for the elders, we had a chat with them where they shared their valuable experiences and recited some beautiful stories.
- Token of thanks-"Always have an attitude of gratitude." To spread this positivity, we organized a “Token of thanks” event. The theme of the event was MDI Gurgaon wherein all the students and staff were asked to share what they are grateful for which was then shared on Samaritan’s Social media handles. During the event we received many beautiful stories of gratefulness, thanking friends, juniors, and seniors for making their life wonderful.
- Tree of life workshop-The Tree of Life represents our personal development, uniqueness, and individual beauty. Just as the branches of a tree strengthen and grow upwards to the sky, we too grow stronger, striving for greater knowledge, wisdom, and new experiences as we move through life. Keeping this thought in mind we Samaritans organized a Tree of life workshop for staff kids with reusable and plantable crayons - making them understand life the creative way. The workshop was designed to help kids learn more about their values, goals, strengths, and weaknesses.
Financial Literacy Workshop - During Imperium, A financial literacy workshop was conducted with the help of Imlak Shaikh sir for all the supporting staff of MDI. In this workshop, Topics like Savings, banking, Credit score, Different governmental policies like NPS and other investment opportunities were touched.
Samarpan -“Awareness is the greatest agent for change."To promote awareness towards different social issues “Samarpan” a Social awareness video creation competition was organized under Imperium, 2022. In this competition, participants were given a platform to showcase Creativity, Acting and Video making skills while making their voice heard.
Beyond Karma -“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”Beyond Karma is a case study competition based on social issues organized by the Samaritans, under Imperium, 2022. In this competition, participants were given a platform to showcase strategy skills and be a part of solving a real life problem faced by SRF Foundation.
Secretary: Jai Pattewar