As an academic administrator, Prof. Subhash Datta have a successful track record of design and development of three reputed Institutions during my career spanning 46 years. He was involved in the success of the Practice School Programme of BITS Pilani during 1976-82. In 1982, was instrumental in creating the interdisciplinary Centre for Applied Systems Analysis in Development (CASAD) at Pune. While at CASAD he was particularly responsible for the Industrial Fellowship Programme with the Mukund Iron and Steel Company Ltd. at Bombay.
During 1996-1998 Prof. Datta was one of the key persons for the success of the NSDART (National Society for Development Administration Research and Training) within the LBSNAA at Mussoorie. During his tenure at MDI he has successfully completed many consulting projects as Chairman Consulting Services. Finally, as the Founder Director he was responsible for the success of the Jaipuria Institute of Management at Jaipur during 2006-2010 (which became the best B-school in Rajasthan and was ranked 35th within the first three years of its operations).
Prof. Datta have nine year’s experience as Director in different Management Schools like JIM, Jaipur; NIILM, Noida and IMT Nagpur and one year as Pro Vice Chancellor at ADAMAS UNIVERSITY, Kolkata.
Managerial Experiences/ Professional Qualifications:
- Wide experience in Management and Control of long-term sponsored research and consultancy projects.
- Coordinated the Joint Industrial Fellowship Programme of CASAD at the Mukund Iron and Steel, Co. at Bombay.
- NATIONAL: A professional (life) member of the Operational Research Society of India.
- Referee of sponsored research proposals for the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India.
- Evaluated Ph.D Thesis on RASTER ALGORITHMS FOR SOME SPATIAL PROBLEMS IN GIS, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, BOMBAY, 1998.
- Expert committee member for Maintenance Management Course Design in IGNOU, New Delhi, 1999.
- Member of the Expert Committee for MOU, Department of Public Enterprises, 2005
- Member, Board of Governors, Anita Healthcare Systems during 2004-06
- Member, Academic Advisory Committee, IMI, New Delhi, 2005-06.
- Member, Board of Governors at JIM Lucknow, Noida and Jaipur during 2006-2010.
- Member, Board of Governors at NIILM-CMS, 2010 to May 2012.
- Chairman, Remuneration Committee and Independent Director, IRCTC, Indian Railways, from June 2012 to May 2015.
- Member Expert Committee of Spatial Data Infrastructure of NRDMS at DST, Govt. of India since November 2016 to date.
- INTERNATIONAL: Fellow of Operational Research (FOR).
- Refereed articles for the ‘European Journal of Operational Research’, ‘Journal of the Operational Research Society’, ‘OMEGA’ ‘Socio Economic Planning Sciences’ & OPSEARCH’.
- Chaired a session on “O.R/MS in Asian-Pacific Nations” at the APORS’88 Conference at Seoul, Korea, August 1988. Chaired the session on “O.R. in Agriculture” at the XII triennial conference of the IFORS at Athens, Greece in 1990.
- Organised a workshop on “Promotion of O.R. in Developing Countries” at the XII IFORS Conference at Athens, Greece, 29 June 1990.
- Member of the Euro Working Group on DSS (Decision Support Systems).
- Received the GOODEVE GOLD MEDAL for the most outstanding paper in the Journal of the Operational Research Society in 1990. First recipient of the award from a developingcountry.
- Chaired the session on OR in Developing Countries at the IFORS triennial conference at Edinburg, UK during 8-12 July 2002.
- Plenary speaker at the 2004 IFORS Teachers Training workshop for the Developing Countries at Manila, Philippines held during 19-21 July 2004.
- Presented a paper, Chaired a session and was a Judge to select the best Paper on Development at the triennial conference of IFORS at Hawaii during 11-15 July 2005
- Presented a paper at the EURO XXII at Prague, CzeckRepublic, July 2007
- Plenary speaker on Sustainable Development at the ICORD, held at Brazil in August 2007 Pleanary speaker on Sustainable Development Through Management Science Models at
- ICBMIS 2008 at Phitsanulok, Naresuan University, Thailand.5-7 November 2008. Organising Committee Member for APORS 2009 at Jaipur during 6-9 December 2009 Organising Committee Member IFORS 2011 at Melbourne, Australia, 10-15 July 2011 Organising Committee Member IFORS 2014 at Barcelona, Spain, 13-18 July 2014 Chairman for OR and Sustainable Development at IFORS 2011 at Melbourne.
- Chair IFORS Prize for OR in Development IFORS 2011 at Melbourne Australia during 10-15 July 2011.
- Chair OR in DEVELOPMENT OF DEVELOPING COUNTRIES at EURO XXV at Vilnius, Lithuania from 8-11 JULY 2012.
- Chair OR In DEVELOPMENT OF DEVELOPING COUNTRIES at EURO XXVI/INFORMS Conference at Sapienza, Rome from 1-4 JULY 2013.
- Member of Judges for OR in Development Prize at IFORS 2014 at Barcelona, Spain.
- Chair of the stream OR for Development and DevelopingCountries at IFORS 2014 at Barcelona, Spain during 13-18 July 2014 and at IFORS 2017 at Quebec, Canada during 17-21 July 2017.
Prof. Datta have over 46 years teaching experience at BITS, Pilani; IMI, Delhi; MDI, Gurgaon; JIM Jaipur, NIILM-CMS, Noida and IMT Nagpur.
Some of the courses taught are: Operations Management; Operations Research; Service Operations Management; Management Science Models; Multi Criteria Decision Analysis and so on with average student evaluation score of 4.2 out of 5.0.
Offered several sessions for the working executives of MNCs in the weekend program run by some American Universities on Business Analytics at Hyderabad, Gurgaon and Bangalore. Also taught a course on Quantitative Analysis for PGDM at IIM Sirmaur.
Areas of Interest:
Service Operations Management, Operational Research, Decision Support Systems, Sustainable Development and Decentralized Planning Decision making.
Expereince as Research Guide
a) At Master’s level under the Practice School Programme of BITS, Pilani (Duration 6 months). Guided more than 50 students (20 projects)
b) M.Sc (OR) of the University of Sussex, U.K., in collaboration with CASAD (Master’s Thesis of duration 16 weeks). 15 projects (18 students).
c) M.Sc (OR) projects of the University of Strathclyde, U.K. 10 projects (15 students).
d) M.Sc (OR) projects of the University of Southampton, U.K. 19 projects (24 students)
e) Guided 6 Ph.D students at IMI, MDI, Mewar University and Jamia Millia Islamia
Publications & Research
Prof. Datta have published 9 books and more than 60 articles in refereed international and national journals. He was awarded the ‘Goodeve Medal’ for the most outstanding paper of the year STRATEGY FOR DEVELOPMENT OF BACKWARD AREAS in the Journal of the Operational Research Society in 1990. Published articles in Journal of the Operations Research Society, European Journal of Operations Research, OMEGA, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Social Science and Medicine, International Transactions in Operations Research, Global Business Review, International Journal of Services and Operations Management, International
Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, and Economic and Political Weekly.Has conducted many research studies sponsored by The Ford Foundation, Department of Science and Technology, CSIR, ICSSR, IDBI, Bihar Education Project, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, MMTC, World Health Orgn.
The research studies include:
District Credit Plans, Design of Information Systems, Strategy for Backward Area Development, Watershed Management, Rural Development, Education, Impact Assessment, Energy Planning; Health Planning, Natural Resources Data Management System, Technological Futures, Providing Urban Amenities in Rural Areas, Multi Criteria Facility Location, Capacity Building and Decision Support Systems.
Prof. Datta have over 40 years training experience as a Master Trainer with wide experience of delivering and coordinating many EDPs and MDPs. He was the Program Director for FDIB 2004, 2005 and 2006 where senior level management school professors from top level US Universities came to MDI under the CIBER program for two weeks.
He was also the Program Director for Advanced Management Program for the year 2005-6 for very senior officials (future board level members) for two weeks at MDI and two weeks in various management schools in Europe. My clients include ONGC, NTPC, ABB, L&T, Hero Honda, BSNL, VSNL, KVIC, Kampsax and WHO among many others.