• Fellowship in Finance from the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (2007)
• Masters in Business Economics, University of Delhi (1992)
• B.Com (Hons.), LSR, University of Delhi (1990)
Prof. Veena Iyer has close to 20 years of academic and industry experience. Prior to joining MDI Gurgaon in August 2013, Prof. Iyer was a Senior Practice Lead in the area of Business and Strategy Research with Infosys Ltd. In this role she led teams of analysts for many research assignments for clients viz. drawing up business plans for capital raising, competitive analysis for strategy development, counterparty credit risk analysis for banking clients, Investment thesis for a private equity client, etc.
Prof. Iyer is currently responsible for the executive graduate programmes offered by the school. She is credited with successfully coordinating the AACSB accreditation efforts for the institute; MDI Gurgaon was accredited by the AACSB in November 2021.
Prof. Veena Iyer currently teaches courses both in the 2-year graduate programmes as well as the executive programmes.
She currently teaches the following courses at MDI Gurgaon:
• Financial Accounting (Core course)
• Management of Banks and Financial Intermediaries (Elective)
• Corporate Restructuring and Business Valuation (Elective)
• Sustainable Finance & Impact Investing (Elective)
She was voted as the best faculty by the students of PGP-IM, batch of 2016.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Iyer, S. V., & Chakravarthy, L. (2022). Examination of the convergence route to IFRS reporting and disclosure. Corporate Governance and Sustainability Review, 6(1), 32–45. https://doi.org/10.22495/cgsrv6i1p4 (ABDC: C)
- Pramani, R., Iyer, S.V. Adoption of payments banks: a grounded theory approach. J Financ Serv Mark (2022). https://doi.org/10.1057/s41264-021-00133-w (ABDC: B)
- S. Veena Iyer (2020) Venture debt: a catalyst for Indian entrepreneurship, Venture Capital, 22:3, 215-238, DOI: 10.1080/13691066.2020.1801141 (ABDC: B)
- Strategy-Performance-Return Relationship in the Indian banking industry, 2006, IIMB Management Review, 18(4)
Peer -reviewed papers presented at conferences
- Impact of Leverage in Economic Downturns, Verma, Akhil and Iyer, Veena S., presented at the GCMRM conference held at MDI-Gurgaon, March 2015.
- Determinants of Risk Level and Influence of Origin on Risk-taking: Evidence from Indian Commercial Banks, Iyer, Veena S., Bangalore Chapter of PRMIA held on 6th October 2007.
- Mediating Effect of Risk in the Ownership-Performance relationship in Banks, Iyer, Veena S., South and South-East Asia Econometric Society Meeting, Chennai, 2006.
- Risk-Performance relationship in banks: A fresh perspective, Iyer, Veena S., Asia-Pacific Management Conference, Bangkok, November 2006
- The story underlying the numbers: A simple approach to comprehensive financial statements analysis, 2018, published by Business Expert Press, USA
- Teaching cases with Teaching Notes published with Ivey Publishing, indexed in Harvard Business Publishing
- Catholic Syrian Bank: Valuing a majority stake in a commercial bank, 2019, Iyer, S.V.
- ibibo: Grow Independently or Sell?, 2017, Dasgupta, Meeta and Iyer, Veena S.
- Metro do Porto: An Interest Rate Swap, 2016, Iyer, Veena S. & Jain, Anshul
- Jaguar Land Rover Plc: Bond Valuation, 2015, Iyer, Veena S.
- Flipkart: Valuing a Venture-Capital funded Start-up, 2014, Iyer, S.V.
- Using a cannon to kill flies, Iyer, Veena S., The Pioneer, 11 January 2019
- A capital idea for public sector banks, Iyer, Veena S., Bhusnurmath, N.S., The Financial Express, 13 January 2017
- Connecting the Dots, Iyer, Veena S., Indian Management in February 2016, 55(2)
- Book Review of “Pension Reforms in India” by H. Sadhak published in Vision-Journal of Business Perspectives, 2014, 18(2)
- Cut the CFO some slack!, Iyer, Veena S., Infosys blogs, February 2013
- How do you measure value delivered to clients?, Iyer, Veena S., Consulting Magazine, January 2012
- Business of Research - Proof of the pudding is in the eating, Iyer, Veena S., Outsource (U.K.), January 2011
- Good-bye ROI, Hello EVA, Iyer, Veena S., The Hindu Businessline, 6 June 2002
- Enron still a Fortune 500 Company!, Iyer, Veena S., Economic Times, 11 April, 2002
Training on understanding financial statements and financial statements analysis for corporate and non-corporate audiences:
• Entry level and senior level executives at Bharat Electronics, J.K. Tyres; scientists from DRDO;
• Senior personnel from the armed forces training to take independent directorship positions in corporate Training for bankers on understanding banking financials and strategizing for future growth, credit risk analysis, etc.:
• AGMs and DGMs at Canara Bank and Oriental Bank of Commerce
Designed and directed programmes for training of CAs and MBAs at Hindustan Coca-Cola Bottling Co.; officers from Ministry of Finance, Afghanistan; Executive MBA participants coming for India Immersion module from ESCP, Europe and OneMBA consortium