Prof. (Dr.) Narain Gupta is a distinguished faculty of Operations Management area at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon since August 2012. He received his Doctoral Degree FPM (Fellow Programme in Management) from Department of Production and Quantitative Methods of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India in year March 2008. He obtained Master of Technology from Department of Industrial Engineering and Management of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India in year 2003. He completed engineering from Department of Mining Engineering of CTAE, Udaipur, India.
He has been a Gold Medalist throughout his education. He accredited multiple meritorious awards for the First Rank in Engineering in the State of Rajasthan. He has a US Copyright for an Optimization based Decision Support System. His company Global eProcure obtained a US Patent on his name for one algorithm developed by him for Auto-Classification of Spend-Data Visibility.
He has five years of rich corporate experience of people management, driving multiple initiatives towards studying and improving process efficiency. He started his corporate career as a senior consultant from a procurement consulting company headquartered in USA. He worked on multiple international consulting assignments for Kelloggs, Starwood Hotels, etc in the area of Strategic Sourcing and Spend Analytics. Later, he joined A P Moller Maersk, the largest logistics and shipping company in the world, headquartered at Denmark. He joined the procurement offshore centre of Maersk Procurement as a Senior Business Analyst. Basis his innovative ideas on managing the offshore centre and procurement services he gained three promotions in a duration of 2 years.
During his stint at Maersk, he led multiple initiatives to improve the existing processes to enhance customer satisfaction. He guided an employee on a GREEN BELT project to accomplish significant reduction in turnaround time to stakeholders, and improving the customer satisfaction score. He was heading six different teams with 20 analysts in Procurement Analytics including Market Research, Spend Management, Presentations, Computer Systems, Contracts, and Data Analytics.
He has travelled to multiple counties including USA, Denmark, China, UAE, Singapore, etc. for teaching, training, consulting, and conference presentations.
He has taught at Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad; IIMM, Pune; and MDI Gurgaon. He has taught courses on Operations Research and Quantitative Methods, Operations Management, Six Sigma Quality Control, etc. He teaches Business Statistics, Decision Sciences, and Services Operations Management at MDI Gurgaon.
He has published in national and international journals, and presented his research in international conferences. His research expertise are Strategic Integrated Supply Chain Planning, Decision Support System, Mathematical Modeling, Process Optimization, Procurement Analytics, Strategic Sourcing, etc. His extended research interests are Revenue Optimization, Project Management, Services Operations Management, Etc.
ABDC (A*) PUBLICATIONS
- Gupta, N., Dutta, G., and Fourer, R., (2014), An Expanded Database Structure for a Class of Multi-period, Stochastic Mathematical Programming Models for Process industries, Decision Support Systems, 64 (43-56), An Elsevier Publication [Thomson Reuter Impact: 2.2]
ABDC (A) PUBLICATIONS
- Shukla, S.; Kapoor, R.; Gupta, N.; Arunachalam, D., (2022). Knowledge transfer, buyer-supplier relationship, and supplier performance in Agricultural supply chain: An agency theory perspective, Journal of Knowledge Management (Accepted)
- Arli, D., Sardana, D., Gupta, N., & Sharma, P, (2022). Demystifying the evaluation of brands endorsed by religious leaders in the emerging markets. International Marketing Review (Accepted)
- Sharma, P., Sardana, D., Gupta, N., & Arli, D. (2021). Exploring the role of spiritual leaders as celebrity business founders and brand endorsers. Marketing Intelligence & Planning.
- Dhaigude, A.S.; Kapoor, R.; Gupta, N.; Padhi, S. S. (2021). Linking supply chain integration to supply chain orientation and performance – A knowledge integration perspective from Indian manufacturing industries, Journal of Knowledge Management.
- Sardana, D., Gupta, N., Terziovski, M., & Kumar, V., (2020). CSR ‘sustainability’ practices and firm performance in an emerging economy. Journal of Cleaner Production [Thomson Reuter Impact: 6.35]
- Gupta, A. K., & Gupta, N. (2020). Effect of corporate environmental sustainability on dimensions of firm performance–Towards sustainable development: Evidence from India. Journal of Cleaner Production, 119948. [Thomson Reuter Impact: 6.35]
- Sardana, D., Cavusgil, E., & Gupta, N. (2020). The growing popularity of spiritual brands: What drives purchase intent?. International Business Review, 101777. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2020.101777 [Thomson Reuter Impact: 3.953]
- Gupta, N., Dutta, G., & Tiwari, M. K. (2018). An integrated decision support system for strategic supply chain optimisation in process industries: the case of a zinc company. International Journal of Production Research, 56(17), 5866-5882 [Thomson Reuter Impact: 2.2]
- Dutta, G., Gupta, N., Mandal, J., & Tiwari, M. K. (2018). New decision support system for strategic planning in process industries: Computational results. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 124, 36-47 [Thomson Reuter Impact: 2.2]
- Sardana, D., Gupta, N., & Sharma, P. (2018). Spirituality and religiosity at the junction of consumerism: Exploring consumer preference for spiritual brands. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 42(6), 724-735 [Thomson Reuter Impact: 2.2]
- Sardana, D., Terziovski, M., Gupta, N. (2016), The impact of dynamic capability on manufacturing firm’s performance: The role of strategic alignment and responsiveness to market, International Journal of Production Economics, An Elsevier Publication [Thomson Reuter Impact: 2.75]
- Dutta, G., Gupta, N, Fourer, R. (2011), An Optimization Based Decision Support System for Strategic Planning in Process Industries – A Case of Aluminum Company in India, Journal of the Operational Research Society 62, 616-626 (April 2011), A Palgrave Publication [Thomson Reuter Impact: 1.1]
He has conducted training programmes for KPMG, IOCL, and DRDO organizations on general management. He has been imparting training sessions to different organizations including IOCL, DRDO, BEL, etc. The training offered by him includes Competitive Benchmarking, Problem Solving Tools and Techniques, Supply Chain Management, Process Optimization, Operations Management and Inventory Control.
Worked as a part of Coal India Limited ERP Consulting project team (2016) as Supply Chain Consultant