Professor Nakul Gupta is currently working as an Associate Professor in the Information Management Area at the Management Development Institute Gurgaon, India. His areas of interest include geospatial analytics, spatial fintech, data visualization, and sustainable technology policymaking. He was invited by Google, Japan, to be a part of the Earth Engine Mini Summit in March 2018 at Tokyo, Japan based on the work done in the area of spatial analytics, machine learning, remote sensing, and GIS (Geographical Information Systems). He was also selected by Google, Inc. to participate in Geo for Good User Summit 2017. He was selected and co-funded by 500 Startups ($5 billion startup fund and accelerator) to attend VC: Unlocked in San Francisco, USA (2016). He is a Fellow of Management from the Management Development Institute, Gurgaon (India), where he was a doctoral program student in the area of information management. Before he joined MDI Gurgaon, he was Assistant Professor and Chairperson, International Relations, at the Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur. He worked at IIM Kashipur for almost two years. Nakul Gupta holds a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from MDU Rohtak, India.
He has several national and international peer-reviewed publications in the fields of information science, entrepreneurship, sustainable development, renewable energy, electronics engineering, open source software, e-learning, and innovation in pedagogy. He has a FT publication in the Harvard Business Review and several teaching cases published in Ivey Publishing and cross-listed in Harvard Business Publishing. He also has a few accolades in the fields of spatial analytics and sustainability, such as International Climate Champion 2009 and Brightest Young Climate Leader 2010. He is a reviewer for several national and international journals and journals of repute including ICIS, Education + Training (Emerald), NACRA, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning etc.
He has been involved in technology, policymaking and management consulting with government and international multilateral agencies such as Ministry of MSME, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Transparency International, The World Bank Group-funded projects, Asian Development Bank-funded projects and several state level organizations. A few of his major projects are listed here:
I. Asian Development Bank (ADB) Funded Implementation of Enterprise Resource Planning infrastructure at Himachal Pradesh Power Transmission Limited, Government of India – Main aim was to use enterprise resource planning and technology contracting knowledge to bring in Transparency in Government funded utilities with the help of Sovereign Project funding (ADB Project Number: 43464-023 | Project Name: Himachal Pradesh Clean Energy Transmission Investment Program (HPCETIP) - Tranche 1). During this project, was the main architect for the ADB International Competitive Bidding tender for “Procurement of Cloud Services for Hosting the SAP Application of HPPTCL” vide number 31 - ERP / ADB / HPPTCL / CLOUD.
II. Evaluation of Prime Ministers Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) Scheme: Priority Project of Ministry of Micro, Medium and Small-Scale Enterprises, Government of India. The evaluation was done using custom developed and state of the art data collection tools and GIS technologies.
III. Strategic Evaluation of Institutional Development Plans (IDP) of Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) for The Madhya Pradesh Higher Education Quality Improvement Project (MPHEQIP) which is a 430 million USD joint venture with World Bank and Department of Higher Education, Government of M.P., India (World Bank Project ID P150394).
IV. Contract and RFP Formulation and Capacity Building for Implementation of Enterprise Resource Planning infrastructure at Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited, Government of India – Main task was to build capacity in Government funded state utility company to use enterprise analytics and technology to bring in transparency and international best practices in Government funded utilities.
V. Use of HR analytics and computer aided content analysis for conducting of Human Resource Audit for SPMCIL (Securities Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited).
VI. Use of social analytics and computer aided-content analysis tools for Monitoring and Evaluation of various CSR projects carried out during Financial Year 2017-18 by SPMCIL (Securities Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited)
VII. Use of education analytics and computer aided content analysis tools for conducting education audit of schools funded by National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Government of India.
VIII. Contract and RFP Formulation for Enterprise Resource Planning infrastructure at Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB), Government of India.
He teaches courses on Managment Information Systems, Data Visualization, Socio-Tech Entrepreneurship, Creating Digital Startups and Enterprise Systems. He is actively involved in conducting training and MDPs for corporate as well as public sector organizations and government.
He has attended and convened several conferences of international repute. His areas of interest include - spatial analytics, information science, knowledge management, sustainable development, analytics, entrepreneurship, and technological innovations.
Some of his major publications include:
- Singla, A., Gupta, N., Aeron, P., Jain, A., Sharma, D., & Bharadwaj, S. S. (2022). Decentralized Identity Management Using Blockchain: Cube Framework for Secure Usage of IS Resources. Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), 31(2), 1-24. (ABDC- A)
- Khatri, A., Gupta, N., & Parashar, A. (2020). Application Of Technology Acceptance Model (Tam) In Fintech Services. International Journal of Management (IJM), 11(12).
- Singh N & Gupta, N (2018). Comparative Analysis of Data Mining Models for Classification for Small Data Set. In IEEE 12TH International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technologies (AICT2018) held in Kazakhstan, Almaty, 17-19 October 2018.
- Singh N & Gupta, N (2018) Infosys: The Buyout Strategy for Vision 2020, Ivey Publishing, Product Number - 9B18M032.
- Gupta, N., & Bhatnagar, J. (2018). Millennial Entrepreneurs and Climate Change Management-A Cross Country Analysis of Innovation. In Indian Journal for Industrial Relations (Vol.53, No.3, p. 488-503)
- Gupta, N., P. Jaiswal, M. & Sharma, R. (2017). Qualitative Network Analysis of Emergence of Innovations: How does knowledge ‘dispersed in time’ gets converted into IT innovation?. In 2017 ISPIM Innovation Forum at Toronto, Canada.
- Sharma, R. R., & Gupta, N. (2017). The Context of Management Education. In R. R. Sharma, M. Csuri, & K. Ogunyemi, Managing for Responsibility: A Textbook for an Alternative Paradigm. Business Expert Press.
- Bhatnagar, J. & Gupta, N. "Should You Rehire Someone Who Left for a Competitor?" Harvard Business Review (Dec, 2016) Impact Factor – 2.249.
- Sharma, V., & Gupta, N. (2015). Systematic literature review of quality management in healthcare organisations: exploring and organising extant research using nVivo. International Journal of Services and Standards, 10(1-2), 2-16. Scopus Indexed.
- Karthik, V., & Gupta, N. (2015). Procurement analytics effects on organisation. Pg. 13-27. In Sustainable Development (ed.). Research India Publications. Delhi. India. ISBN: 978-93-84443-03-0.
- Gupta, N., & Bhatnagar, J. (2014). Millennial Entrepreneurs and Climate Change Management-A Cross Country Analysis of Innovation. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2014, No. 1, p. 14926). Academy of Management.
- Gupta, N., P. Jaiswal, M., & Pardasani, R. (2014). Managing knowledge and going global at FragraAroma. Management Decision, 52(9), 1630-1648. Impact Factor-1.429.
- Gupta, N., & Shah Bharadwaj, S. (2013). Agility in business school education through richness and reach: a conceptual model. Education+ Training, 55(4/5), 370-384. Scopus and Thomson Reuters Emerging Sources Citation Indexed.
- Gupta, N., & Goyal, S. (2013). Effective use of cloud computing in education: Education as a service. International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems, 11(3), 297-309. Scopus Indexed.
- Gupta, N., Bhatnagar, A., & Bhatnagar, J. (2013). Cyberpreneur's wake-up call: cyber security and millennial talent crises. Harvard Business Publishing, Product Number - W13439-PDF-ENG.
- Pardasani, R., Gupta, N., & Sharma, R. R. (2013). FragraAroma– Accord in business, concord in family. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 3(7), 1-11.
- Sharma, R., Gupta, N., Singh, R., & Prakash, S. (2014). Aam Aadmi Party: Sociopreneur Walking the Tightrope of Corruption-Free India Inc. In 55th Annual Conference of NACRA (North American Case Research Association) - October 23-25, 2014.
- Gupta, N., P. Jaiswal, M., Sharma, R., & Uniyal, D. (2014). Emergence of Digital Enterprises: A mixed methods research on exploration of transmutation of knowledge into IT innovations by individual innovators. In 2014 CODE BIT Conference-Workshop at Auckland, New Zealand.
- Gupta N, Goyal D (2012) Nurturing green: Vows and woes of an entrepreneur – (A), Harvard Business Publishing, Product Number - W12182-PDF-ENG.
- Gupta N, Goyal D (2012) Nurturing green: Vows and woes of an entrepreneur – (B), Harvard Business Publishing, Product Number - W12181-PDF-ENG.
- Gupta, N. (2009). Phoenix-E-Gen: Efficient Energy Storage & Energy Generation Technology. In Proceedings of World Academy of Science: Engineering & Technology (p. 518). World Academy of Science, Engineering & Technology (WASET).