Centres of Excellence and Multi-Disciplinary Research
A Center of Excellence (CoE) is generally a physical or virtual center of research which concentrates on existing capacity and resources to enable researchers to collaborate across disciplines and institutions, for projects that are locally relevant and internationally challenging. These projects help enhancing the pursuit of excellence in research and capacity development. In the context of MDI, Centers of Excellence are consortia of MDI academics, industry experts and member companies that augment knowledge and industry practices in ‘the areas of expertise’. Winning companies and their leaders often report that part of their success comes from shaping and expanding their expertise and insight by learning, sharing and engaging with others. These centers foster and support this very spirit of knowledge creation, insight and implementation. Member companies take the topic of their interest; the Center facilitates, participates and expands the thought leadership. The defining feature of ‘expertise area’ and a CoE in the area will be: (a) the collaboration between number of experts within and without MDI such that a distinct ‘expertise destiny’ is clearly present. This would be achieved by not only sharing the knowledge and other resources which are not easily available for each business school but also by the existence of (or the potential for) maintaining sustained programmes in the area, which are characterized by excellence in publication and in advancing industry practices. MDI faculty members across various functional areas are actively engaged in research on a number of subjects closely aligned with their areas of teaching, training and consulting. Apart from functional areas, MDI encourages the development of Centers of Excellence so that they can become a focal point of MDI’s research effort and promotion.
Centers of Excellence
These centers promote multi-disciplinary academic as well as practice-oriented research and encourage the formation of strong research groups to help recognizing true excellence in research and having high impact on various stakeholders. These research groups support research in broad fields that MDI identifies as priority themes and give faculty members “leverage” in raising resources for research, in times where MDI and external research funding represent only one component of the funding required for research for a high-priority area.
Existing Centers of Excellence at MDI
- Centre for Excellence in Information Management
- Centre for Entrepreneurship
- Centre for Responsible Business
- Center for Positive Scholarship
Centre for Excellence in Information Management
Objectives of the Center
This Centre was established at the Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon with a grant from the European Union under the EU-India Cross-Cultural Exchange Programme. This Centre was created in response to the growing need for bringing technological awareness to Indian business and industry and also for building expertise in managing and using information and knowledge for achieving business excellence. The major domain of competence of the Centre is in enterprise systems, business process management, e-government and business process and IT outsourcing. The Centre is a ‘competency centre’ on ERP systems, as the faculty with the Centre is certified consultant on the two ERP packages and IFS.
- Bringing technological awareness to Indian business and industry.
- Building expertise in managing and using information and knowledge in order to achieve business excellence.
- Contributing in the major competence domain like enterprise systems, business process management-e-government and business process and IT outsourcing.
- Contributing towards implementation and usage of ERP systems.
Centre for Entrepreneurship
Objectives of the Centre
- To provide a variety of services, on a non-profit basis, to encourage, plan for, and link up entrepreneurs, firms, and organizations in India and abroad
- To offer facilities and networking to entrepreneurs under an Outreach Program
- To train students aspiring to be entrepreneurs
- To render services and training that may facilitate entrepreneurs to operate in emerging areas
- To serve as a platform for various national international centers
For more information please visit: http://mdi.ac.in/arambh/arambh.html
Centre for Responsible Business
Objectives of the Center
- To carry out research on responsible business practices in corporate and state-owned enterprises
- To examine the corporate philanthropic practices in the family-owned businesses in large, medium, small and micro enterprises
- To study the role of strategic governance in promoting responsible business practices
- To design and deliver training programmes for corporate clients on responsible business practices and global standards
- To develop cases on issues related to corporate governance and social responsibility in emerging economies
Centre for Positive Scholarship
Objectives of the Center
- To conduct research on emerging areas of positive scholarship and related themes
- To develop awareness through special lectures/seminars/symposia/conferences /labs and social media
- To disseminate research findings through journal papers/books/ book chapters/case studies To design and deliver management development programmes/workshops
- To collaborate on knowledge generation, dissemination and promotion of positive scholarship nationally and internationally