Post Graduate Programme in Energy Management
School of Energy Management: Journey so far
MDI has been consistently among the top 5 B-Schools in the country. MDI has been first in India to get AMBA (Association of MBAs) Accreditation from UK, even before any of the IIMs. MDI has also been first in India to get SAQS (South Asia Quality Accreditation).
Energy Management is a unique offering from MDI. It is an exclusive industry-focused programme which addresses the dare need of highly skilled business professionals to sail through the management challenges in the Energy and Power Sector. In 2011 it became possibly the only programme with AMBA accreditation targeted at Energy Sector.
Energy (including Power) is possibly the most critical input to rapid economic growth and development of an economy. The accelerated growth unlashed since the 1990s & early 2000s have led to major initiatives which are structurally changing the policy environment.
Energy sector in India is passing through critical times. India’s growth aspiration would be severely affected due to constraints in energy supply. Keeping in mind the bourgeoning demand-supply gap in an energy starved nation like India, which is further distorted by wasteful management practices, there is an immense investment scope in energy infrastructure and energy management in an environmental friendly manner. MDI became the pioneer by launching programme to train professionals in the areas of energy management. This program was launched in 2005 to address these issues with the help of USAID and Ministry of Power. Over the last year its domain has been broadened from power to other spheres of energy namely oil & gas, coal, carbon market, energy efficiency etc.
Through this programme we also aspire to meet our social responsibilities.
Need to evolve policy environment as per the needs of the Indian economy. For this the important aspect is
- sustainability and efficiency to manage demand side
- tariff design and competition to coordinate demand & Supply
- quality and reliability on supply side
- Environmental and sustainability Aspects
- 2005 – Programme started with the support from Ministry of Power (Government of India) and U.S.A.I.D. India under DRUM* project with the purpose of demonstrating “the best commercial and technological practices that improve the quality and reliability of last mile power distribution in urban and rural areas of the country”.
- 2005/6 – 2007/8 – Sponsored by the USAID (through PFC) under the DRUM Project
- 2008/9 – Programme became self sustaining
- 2008 - MoU with HAREDA
- 2010 - MOU with Schneider Electric
- 2011 - AMBA Accreditation in
- ESCP, Europe tie up for Energy management Programme in 2011
To cope up with new realities and changing contours of the Energy/Power & allied Sector in India, MDI's Energy Management Programme focuses on developing future leaders who:
- Believe in leading change rather than managing change.
- Integrate thoughts with action
- Create an impact to make a difference wherever they go
- Are trained and developed as the best talent to meet the challenges of developing and managing Energy/Power & allied sector in India
- Would be well-equipped with the salient features of functional areas of management
- Would share experiences on national and international best practices and innovations in community-based participative model
- Would be facilitators for awareness, understanding and implementation of enactments related to energy/power.
Thus, the mission of the programme at MDI is to prepare global leaders who create, manage and effectively lead change in the energy/power & allied sector. These leaders are expected to create winning institutions in the emerging corporate Olympiad. The programme also sensitizes them on ethical issues.
- Power Distribution companies
- Oil Marketing companies
- Power generation companies
- Oil Exploring and transporting companies
- Power Transmission companies
- Energy/Power Infrastructures financing companies
- Energy/Power Equipment manufacturers and service providers in the energy sector
- IT service providers for utilities and energy Sector
- Consultancy firms and companies operating in the fields of energy management including emerging fields of energy efficiency, renewable energy, clean coal technologies, CDM, sustainable development etc.
- NGOs and government agencies working in the areas of energy management such as energy efficiency, new & renewable energy, clean energy technologies, biofuels, sustainable development etc.
Teaching is based on recent research material and experience gathered from around the world. The pedagogy is highly interactive. It envisages substantial participation and action learning. Teaching methods include lectures, cases, seminars, group discussions, business games, role plays, simulations, exercises, structured and unstructured group work and field visits. The emphasis is on involving each participant to make learning participant-centric and help them relate the concepts, ideas, and theories to their own experiences. Consistent with recent advances in training technology, the programme integrates the use of latest IT and computing technologies with learning in different functional areas.
Substantial work is assigned to the participants in small groups. This provides an opportunity to examine a problem collectively and to learn from each other's experiences. The group learning activities can be broadly classified into two:
- Group assignments with presentations , and case analysis
- Group tasks-assignments that involve learning by doing.
In order to have the first hand experience of the best practices in Energy/Power & allied sector in India, MDI organizes industry visits for the benefit of the participants.
The first four terms are residential on Campus and the fifth term is devoted exclusively to the dissertation work.
On successful completion of the Programme requirements, participants are awarded a Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Energy Management) which has the approval of the All India Council of Technical Education, Government of India. The Programme is also accredited by AMBA.