Debi S Saini
Professor, Human Resource Management
Phone : +91-124-4013050
PhD (Delhi), GPHR (USA), is Professor of Human Resource Management (HRM) at MDI since June 2004. He Studied at the Delhi School of Economics and the Faculty of Law¸ University of Delhi; and has been certified by the ` Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)¸ USA as a global professional in HRM. He is also a Visiting Professor at Aarhus School of Business Summer University, Aarhus (Denmark) since 2010 (continuing); and has earlier been a Visiting Professor at IAE Aix-en-Provence Graduate School of Management, France; and SP Jain Centre of Management, Dubai (UAE).
Dr Saini has published 87 papers¸ book chapters or management cases; and 151 book reviews in, among others, following journals: Journal of World Business (Columbia)¸ Human Resource Management (Michigan)¸ Asia-Pacific Journal of Management, Asia-Pacific Business Review¸ Journal of Organizational Change Management¸ Journal of Chinese Human Resource Management, Asia Case Research Journal¸ Zeitschrift fur auslandisches and internationalesSozialrecht (Review of Foreign & International Social Law)¸ Economic & Political Weekly¸ Indian Journal of Labour Economics¸ Indian Journal of Social Work¸ Vikalpa¸ Journal of Indian Law Institute¸ and Indian Journal of Industrial Relations. He presented 23 papers in international conferences and two papers in national (Indian) conferences. Four management cases written by him have been published by Asia Case Research Centre¸ University of Hong Kong¸ or Ivey cases and are also being sold by Harvard Business School Publishing online¸ and European Case Clearing; one of which is in the "Most Popular" category ( https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/search?term=debi+saini&n=&navigation=&coursepackName=&libraryItemId= ) and has also been translated in Spanish.
He has published seven books (Authored/Edited)¸ which include:1. Social Security Law in India, Kluwer law International, The Hague, 2011 (This book forms part of the International Encyclopaedia of Laws,published by Kluwer Law International); 2. Change Champion’s Field Guide (Co-editors: Dave Ulrich¸ L. Carter¸ M. Goldsmith¸ Debi Saini (South Asian Edition¸ Excel¸ 2005); 3. Human Resource Management: Perspectives for the New Era (Co-edited) (Response/Sage¸ New Delhi¸ 2000); 4. Cases on Labour Law: Minimum Conditions of Employment (Ed.) (Oxford & IBH¸ New Delhi¸ 1995); 5. Labour Judiciary¸ Adjudication and Industrial Justice (Ed.) (Oxford & IBH¸ New Delhi 1994); 6.Labour Law¸ Work & Development (Ed.) (Westvill¸ New Delhi¸ 1995); 7.Redressal of Labour Grievances¸ Claims and Disputes (Authored) (Oxford & IBH¸ New Delhi¸1994).
Before joining the Management Development Institute¸ he has been a Professor at Gandhi Labour Institute¸ Ahmedabad (1992-94); Professor of HRM at IILM¸ New Delhi (1996-1999)¸ and Assistant Professor & Associate Professor at Delhi College of Arts & Commerce¸ University of Delhi. He has also taught¸ among others¸ at the Faculty of Management Studies¸ University of Delhi; and Indian Institute of Foreign Trade. He was editor of Vision--The Journal of Business Perspective (Jan 2005- Apr 2007 & July, 2009-Apr. 2013); Founding Editor of Management & Change (1997-1999), and a member of the Editorial Board of Industrial Relations Journal¸ Blackwell¸ Oxford (1998-2002).He is on the editorial board of seven journals; and on the Board of Best Practice Institute¸ Boston¸ USA (www.bestpracticeboard.com/members.htm). He has been on the Board of “RC-10: Research Committee on Participation¸ Organizational Democracy and Self-Management” of the International Sociological Association; and also as RC-10 Board Vice-President–Asia & Africa. He is a Life member of: the Indian Society of Labour Economics; the HRD Network; the Indian Law Institute; and the Indian Sociological Society. He is a member of International Sociological Association; Society for Human Resource Management (USA); and Indian Industrial Relations Association.
Awards & Honors:
1. Invited as the first Isambard Kingdom Brunel Fellow by the business school of the University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK. The scheme of this fellowship seeks out “top international academics in their discipline from across the emerging economies (June-July, 2016).
2. The keynote delivered at the 3rd HR Dialogue-2015 organized by the Department of HRM, Faculty of Management Studies, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka (17th October, 2015).
3. Was elected as one of “the Top Ten Thinkers” out of 50 nominations decided by MTC Global, a Bangalore-based NGO (results declared on 29th July, 2014);
4..“The Best Professor in HRM” award from CMO Asia on 31st July, 2013 in Singapore;
5.“The Best Teacher of MDI, PGHR 2010 (Students’ Choice) award” by MDI PGHR students 2008-2010;
5 “The Best HR Faculty award” for 2007 by Amity International University¸ India;
6. “The Researcher of MDI award” for 2005 for excellence in research;
7. Invited speaker at the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Annual Conference & Exposition held in Las Vegas¸ California¸ USA (June¸ 2011);
8. Invited speaker at the SHRM Annual Conference & Exposition held in San Diego¸ California¸ USA (June¸ 2010);
9. The Keynote speaker at the National Congress of Italian Association for Personnel Management in Sorrento¸ Italy (May 2008);
10. A Session’s Keynote Speaker at the 6th International Congress on “Social Innovations & Work” organized by RLDWL Network held in Montreal¸ Canada (June¸ 2008);
11. Invited speaker at the 30th Annual Conference of the SHRM Global Forum held in Los Angeles¸ USA (March¸ 2007);
12. Invited speaker at the Global Workforce Roundtable Summit for Corporate Managers of Ten Large Global Companies organized by Boston College Center for Work & Family¸ Boston College (Boston¸ USA) in London¸ U.K. (September¸ 2006);
13.A Session’s Keynote Speaker at the 5th International Congress on “Education¸ Science & Labour: Perspectives for 21st Century” Organized by RLDWL and held in Osnabruck¸ Germany (September¸ 2006);
14.The keynote presenter on “Work & Labour in the Era of Globalization: Labour’s Inclusion or Marginalization” at Public Meeting on “Labour in the Era of Globalization” organized by India Social Forum¸ at Jawaharlal Stadium¸ New Delhi (November 2006); and
15. An Invited plenary speaker on “Law and Social Development in India,” at an international workshop organized by Parliamentary Commission on Social Development of Mexico held in Mexico City (November¸ 1999).
He has also been a guest of honour and has acted as Chair/Co-chair or a panel discussant in many international/national conferences/seminars overseas and in India.
Areas of Interest:
Research: Industrial Disputes Conciliation & Adjudication, Employee Relations Law, Strategic HRM¸ Diversity Management¸ Cooperative Employee Relations¸ and Social Security Issues for Organized as well as Informal Sector Workforce.
Teaching: Strategic HRM¸ Functional HRM, Employee Relations Strategies¸ Diversity Management, and Employee Relations Law.
Consulting: Strategic Change through HR Interventions; Building Cooperative Employee Relations through Employee Engagement; Transforming Organizations through Strategic People Management Interventions; Building union-management cooperation; Building Transformational Leadership Competencies; Managing Diversity; Building an Exciting & Joyful Organization; and Management of Contract Labour.
Membership of Professional Associations:
• Member of the International Sociological Association; and also has been on the Board of “RC-10: Research Committee on Participation, Organizational Democracy and Self-Management” for 2006-18.
• Global Best Practice Board Member of the Best Practices Institute, Riverside, USA
• Life member of the National HRD Network, New Delhi
• Member of the Indian Industrial Relations Association, New Delhi
Strategic HRM¸ Functional HRM, Employee Relations Strategies¸ Diversity Management, and Employee Relations Law.
Dr Saini has advised two CEOs/Chairmen of global companies on Indian cultural context and employee behaviour (YKK, Japan; and Vitas Inc, USA). Has done programs for managers in private and public sectors on issues in people management interventions & strategies; employee engagement; diversity management; building cooperative employee relations; strategic people management; strategic recruitment & selection; managing labour laws; and managing contract labour. Among academic consultancies¸ Dr. Saini has done assignments for SHRM; the International Labour Organization (ILO); and the GTZ (Deutsche GesellschaftfurTechnischeZusammenarbeit: German Agency for Technical Cooperation¸ Germany). He has been participating in Advanced Management Programs (AMPs) and Senior Management Programs (SMPs) in MDI. Has been involved in MDPs for managers¸ among others¸ for: Hero MotoCorps Ltd.; Tata Steel Ltd.; DSCL; Shriram Food & Fertilizers Ltd; Ballarpur Industries Ltd.; Capstan Industries Ltd.; Chambal Fertilizers Ltd; Indus-Logic Co. Ltd.; JK Group of Industries; Mitsubishi; Gas Authority of India Ltd.; Indian Oil Corporation¸ ONGC; ECIL; North Delhi Power Ltd.; and Public sector banks.