Assistant Professor, Operations Management
Phone : +91-124-4560292
A certified Lean Six Sigma Master Clack belt, Dr. Anupama Prashar combines her cross-industry project-consulting exposure with state-of-the-art academic research to add value to the discussions in her teaching and consulting assignments.
She is presently a Professor of Quality Management in the area of Operations Management at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon.
A university rank holder in her graduation and post-graduation, Dr. Prashar holds Ph.D. from School of Management Studies, Punjabi University. She received her Master’s degree in Business Management and Bachelor in Industrial Engineering from Punjab University.
Teaching & Consulting Experience:
Dr. Prashar has more than 14 years of experience across training, consulting and research. Prior to joining MDI, she has taught at University Business School, Punjab University, IILM Institute of Business Management and Punjab Technical University. She has taken up many International teaching assignments including Georgian College, Canada, Kathmandu University, Nepal. Here teaching interest include Operational Excellence frameworks, Business Intelligence & Data Analytics, Research Methodology and Service Operations Management.
As a Certified Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, she regularly delivers Lean Six Sigma trainings programs organized by industrial forums such as PHDCCI, CII and FICCI and also conducts MDPs(on-campus and in-company training programs).
She has coached and mentored more than 20 Lean Six Sigma projects to the small and medium scale companies from manufacturing, service to public sectors. She also conducts workshops on statistical software such as SPSS, MINITAB and Exceland has conducted training sessions in on-campus and in-company MDPs on following topics:
Six Sigma DMAIC,
Lean Manufacturing VSM,
Design of Experiments (DOE),
Multivariate Data Analytics for Business,
Total Quality Management,
Dr. Prashar has published research articles in coveted international journals such as The TQM Journal, International Journal of Quality and Reliability, Production Planning & Control, TQM & Business Excellence, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, Journal for Education in Business and International Journal of Performance & Productivity Management. She is also serving on the editorial board of journals in the field of operations management.
She has published teaching cases in Richard Ivey Publishing and Case Centre, UK.
She has coauthored books on the subject of Industrial Safety and Environment and Operations Management.
Her research interests include:
Total quality management,
Process improvement & optimization,
Strategic manufacturing and global competitiveness.
During her tenure at Management Development Institute (MDI) and prior to that,Dr Prashar havebeenteachingcourses in the area of Operations Management and Quantitative Research Methods.Anoverviewof courses taught at MDI:
Management of Quality(Elective): NMP, PGPM, PT-PGPM program
Research Methodology-Quantitative(Core): FPM program
Research Methods in Business(Core): PGPM program
Service Operations Management(Elective): PGPM program
• Prashar A.(2017), Adopting PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act) cycle for energy optimization in energy-intensive SMEs, Journal of Cleaner Production (Elsevier), doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.01.068.
• Prashar A.(2017), Integration of Taguchi and Shainin DOE for Six Sigma improvement, Journal of Quality and Reliability Management(Emerald), In Press.
• Prashar, A.(2016), "A conceptual hybrid framework for industrial process improvement: integrating Taguchi methods, Shainin System and Six Sigma,” Production Planning &Control(Taylor & Francis), DOI: 10.1080/09537287.2016.1225999.
• Prashar, A. (2016). “Using Shainin DOE for Six Sigma: an Indian case study.” Production Planning & Control (Taylor & Francis) 27(2), 83-101.
• Prashar A. (2016). “Integration of Taguchi and Shainin DOE for Six Sigma improvement: An Indian case." International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management”(In press)
• Prashar, A. (2015). Six Sigma adoptions in public utilities: a case study. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence (Taylor & Francis), 27(5-6), 479-506.
• Prashar, A. (2015). Assessing the flipped classroom in operations management: A pilot study. Journal of Education for Business (Taylor & Francis), 90(3), 126-138.
• Prashar, A. (2014). Adoption of Six Sigma DMAIC to reduce cost of poor quality. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management (Emerald), 63(1), 103-126.
• Prashar, A. (2014). Process improvement in farm equipment sector (FES): a case on Six Sigma adoption. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma (Emerald), 5(1), 62-88.
• Prashar, A. (2014). Redesigning an assembly line through Lean-Kaizen: an Indian case. The TQM Journal(Emerald), 26(5), 475-498.
• Prashar, A. (2013) “Right-First-Time dyeing in Textiles using Six Sigma methods”, International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, Vol. 4, No.8.
• Prashar, A. (2013) “Drivers of Store Choice in an Evolving Market: An empirical study” International Journal of Advancements in Research & Technology, Vol. 2 No. 8, ISSN 2278-7763
Teaching cases published with Teaching Note
• Prashar A. (2016). “Parentune.com: Parenting Partners.” Richard Ivey Business Publishing(In press)
• Prashar A. (2015). “JCB Construction Equipment: Made in India for the World.” Richard Ivey Business Publishing. Product Number: 9B16M039
National Refereed papers
• Prashar A. (2012) “The Effects of Age on Consumers Food Retail Behavior: An enumerative review of older consumers in Punjab” LBS Journal of Management, Vol. 10, Iss. 1, pp. 34-45.
• Prashar A. (2012) “Loyalty programs for hospitals: An sight for E commerce companies” Pragyaan –Journal of Management, Vol. 10, Iss. 2.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (2011) “Local diversity in consumer food retail behaviour” Vilakshan, The XIMB Journal of Management.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (Jan, 2011) “A field study on opportunities and challenges faced by organised retailers in Tricity Chandigarh” Synergy, A bi-annual journal of K J Somaiya Institute of Management studies & Research.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (2010) “A study on diversity in retail purchase behavior in food & grocery in Punjab” Vision – The Journal of Business perspective, Vol. 14 No 4, pp. 255-265.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (Oct, 2010) “An empirical Study on Factors affecting Consumer Preferences of Shopping at Organized Retail Stores in Punjab” Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, Vol. 5, Iss. 1.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (July, 2010) “An empirical study on performance of organized food retailing in Punjab” Synergy, A bi-annual journal of K J Somaiya Institute of Management studies.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (July, 2010) “Trends in Consumption pattern of consumers in Punjab: Choice between Organized Retail stores and Traditional Retail stores” Asia Pacific Management Review, Vol. 5, No. 3.
• Mittal, K. C. & Prashar A. (July, 2009) “Organized Retail in Punjab: Analysis of opportunities and obstacles” BVIMR Management Edge, BVIMR Management Edge, Vol.2, No.2.
• Prashar A. & Garg P. (2013), Operations Management, Kataria Publishers, New Delhi.
• Prashar A. & Bansal P. (2009), Industrial Safety and Environment, Kataria Publishers, New Delhi.
She is a Certified Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt and has delivered number of Lean Six Sigma trainings programmes organized by industrial forums such as PHDCCI, CII and FICCI. She has conducted training sessions in on-campus and in-company MDPs on following topics:
Six Sigma DMAIC
Total Quality Management(TQM)
Lean toolkit(VSM, 5S, SMED..)
Design of Experiments (DOE)
Quality Function Deployment(QFD)
Statistical Process Control(SPC) Implementation
Failure Mode and Effect Analysis(FMEA)
Service Excellence through Quality Practices.
Data Analysis using MINITAB
As a trained Master Black Belt, she leads consulting projects on Operational Efficiency and Productivity Improvement with client companies such as KDD Limited, GNA Enterprises, Sutlej motors and small & medium sized enterprises.