Post Graduate Programme In Public Policy & Management (PGP-PPM)
The Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Public Policy and Management offers a unique integration of management concepts, tools and techniques with stress on public policy formulation, analysis and implementation, including the design and execution of delivery systems. The purpose is to enhance the sensibility and capability of the participants to better manage the public policy programmes and systems as well as to make them understand the global trends and practices in these areas to allow exploration of innovative options and choices.
The first year of the programme is full-time residential and includes a six-week term in an international school with an objective to expose the participants to global governance perspectives and challenges. During the second year, the participants would return to their respective work locations but would continue to work on a dissertation on a relevant topic of their interest and with significance for their public policy. All the three components will be graded. The Post Graduate Diploma will be granted only when the dissertation is approved by the thesis evaluation committee. In the past, the participants of the programme have been sponsored by Department of Personnel and Training, Department of Atomic Energy and several other cadre controlling authorities in the Govt. of India as well as state governments.
The Programme is also open for self sponsored, corporate sponsored and foreign civil service officers in addition to officers of Govt. of India, state government and Public Sector Undertakings.
Self sponsored candidates may opt for the international module or for an alternative domestic module of six weeks, (in lieu of the international module) during the same term of the foreign training.
PGDPPM is designed to emphasize self-learning and collective deliberation. Some of the key features of this Programme are:
- Thrust on strategic thinking, global mind-set, sensitivity and innovation;
- Experiential learning through outdoor activities;
- Interdisciplinary approach and learning;
- Leveraging of personal and collective experience through reflection and dialogue;
- Integration of global trends with local realities;
- Firsthand experience of a global way of working through the foreign-study component;
- Opportunity to gain specialization through optional tracks;
- In depth understanding and testing of ideas through an application oriented dissertation;
- Collaborative working through tapping the large intellectual pool and network of MDI; and
- Interactive models of class-room learning focusing on both theory and its application.
The Academic Schedule
- The PGDPPM curriculum comprises of two components: the course work and a dissertation. The course work is spread over eight terms during the first year. During this period, the participants will be expected to take a set of core courses, which will be supplemented by optional courses in different specialised tracks.
- On successful completion of the courses, the participants will work on a dissertation during second year.
The participants would be required to compulsorily stay on MDI campus. They would continue to work on their dissertation during the second year after reporting to their respective Departments. Self sponsored candidates may like to go back to their organization or continue to be in the campus by paying additional payment of board and lodge.
- The courses will provide a wide range of theoretical as well as application-based inputs on various aspects of managing public policy and public-systems including leadership and advocacy.
- Economic Foundations of Public Policy
- Comparative Governance Paradigms
- Public Policy Process
- Strategic Management in Public Sector
- Public Finance and Policy
- Project Appraisal & Risk Analysis
- Designing Citizen-centric Organizations
- Communication for Policy Advocacy
- Rural Development
- Decision-making Techniques
- Reforms and Challenges in Education
- Corporate Finance
- Quantitative Techniques and Research Method
- Public Enterprise Management
- Leadership and Organizational Building
- Socio-political Trends in India
- Infrastructure Policy
- Human Resource Management
- Project Management
- Corporate Governance & Social Responsibility
- WTO and its Implications
- Social Marketing
- Innovation & Change Management
- Inclusive Growth
- Organizational Culture and Effectiveness
- Talent and Performance Management
- Social Sector Policies and Management
School Of Public Policy And Governance
Making a Difference to Citizens’ Lives
At a time when the forces of technology and globalization are pushing societies to redefine their paradigms in all areas of critical concern, the field of public policy and governance gains utmost importance as it continues to have the potential of making or breaking the destiny of nations and citizens. Recognizing the strategic significance of this field, MDI has established a School for Public Policy and Governance.
MDI School for Public Policy and Governance is an initiative to create a global institution of excellence for teaching, research, training and consulting in the field of public policy, public management, and governance issues. The prospective participants in this programme are civil servants and public officials from central and state governments, public managers from PSUs, executive from corporate organizations, and self-motivated individuals with work experience at the executive level in public, private and civil society organizations. All the participants in the programme are key stakeholders in our mission to develop a professional school which meets the learning and capacity building needs of professionals working in the public affairs and public service not only in India but also in the whole of South Asia.
Situated at a strategic location this School enjoys proximity and close interaction both with the policy makers and implementing agencies as well as with the specialized research centres in the field of public policy and governance.
The School has three-fold purpose:
- To create a think-tank for India wherein people from different disciplines, experiences and professions can collectively generate innovative ideas for both policy formulation and policy implementation;
- To harvest the rich and diverse experiences and innovations in area of public policy available within the country for dissemination and replication across South Asia and other parts of the world;
- To partner with the Government of India and the State governments as well as with the corporate organizations, both national and international, to enhance the capacity involved in setting the policy framework and its implementation.
On successful completion of the programme requirements, a student is awarded a Post-Graduate Diploma in Management, PGDM (PPM), which has the approval of the All India Council for Technical Education, Government of India.