Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy Management (PGP-PPM)
At a time when the forces of technology and globalization are pushing societies to redefine their paradigms in all areas of critical concern, the field of public policy and governance gains utmost importance as it continues to have the potential to determine the destiny of nations and citizens. Recognizing the strategic significance of this field, MDI has established The School of Public Policy & Governance in 2005. The Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management (PGP-PPM) is the flagship initiative of the School.
PGP-PPM is an initiative to create a global programme of excellence for teaching & research in the field of public policy, public management, and governance. The prospective participants are civil servants and public officials from central and state governments. All the participants in the programme are key stakeholders in our mission to develop a professional programme which meets the learning and capacity building needs of professionals working in the field of public affairs and public service delivery not only in India but also in other countries.
PGP-PPM offers a unique integration of management concepts, tools and techniques with stress on public policy formulation, analysis and implementation, including the design and execution of delivery systems. It is a fifteen month programme sponsored by Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India (DoPT-GOI). Several Cadre Controlling Authorities (CCAs) of the Government of India belonging to different All India and Central Services regularly sponsor their service officers for this progamme. The purpose is to enhance the sensibility and capability of the participants to better manage the public programmes and systems as well as to make them understand the global trends and practices in these areas to allow exploration of innovative options and choices.
The first year of the programme is full-time residential and includes a 2 weeks term in an international school with an objective to expose the participants to global governance perspectives and challenges There is a provision for domestic attachment to organisations relevant for public policy professions. During the second year, the participants would return to their respective work locations but would continue to work on a dissertation / policy paper on a topic of their interest having significance for public policy discourse. The Post Graduate Diploma in Management with specialization in Public Policy and Management will be granted only when the dissertation/ policy paper is approved by the evaluation committee.
In the past, the participants of the programme have been sponsored by Department of Personnel and Training, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Telecom, Railways and several other cadre controlling authorities (CAS) in the Government of India as well as many State Governments. The participants are usually from the three All India Services and Group A (Class–I), Central and State Services.
The Programme has three-fold objectives:
- To create a think-tank for India wherein people from different disciplines, experiences and professions can collectively generate innovative ideas for both policy formulation and policy implementation.
- To harvest the rich and diverse experiences and innovations in area of public policy available within the country for dissemination and replication across South Asia and other parts of the world.
- To partner with the Government of India and the State governments to enhance the capacity involved in setting the policy framework and its implementation.
PGP-PPM is designed to emphasize self-learning and collective deliberation. Some of the key features of this Programme are:
- Thrust on strategic thinking, global mind-set, sensitivity and innovation;
- Experiential learning through outdoor activities
- Interdisciplinary approach and learning
- Leveraging of personal and collective experience through reflection and dialogue
- Integration of global trends with local realities
- First hand experience of a global way of working through the foreign-study component
- In depth understanding and testing of ideas through an application oriented dissertation / policy paper
The Academic Schedule
- The PGP-PPM curriculum comprises of three components: the Course Work, an International Module and a Dissertation/ policy Paper. During the Course Work, the participants will be expected to take a set of core and elective courses, which will be supplemented by Guest Lectures by practitioners. On successful completion of the courses, the participants will be exposed to an International Module and then they will work on a dissertation/ policy paper during the last three months of the fifteen month period.
- The participants would be required to compulsorily stay on MDI campus during the course work. They would continue to work on their dissertation/ policy paper after reporting to their respective Departments.
- The courses will provide a wide range of theoretical as well as application-based inputs on various aspects of managing public policy and public-systems including leadership, negotiation skills and ethics in governence.
On successful completion of the programme requirements, a participant is awarded a Post-Graduate Diploma in Management, with specialization in Public Policy Management which has the approval of the All India Council for Technical Education, Government of India.