Post Graduate Programme in Energy Management
School of Energy Management: Journey so far
MDI has been consistently among the top 5 B-Schools in the country. MDI has been first in India to get AMBA (Association of MBAs) Accreditation from UK, even before any of the IIMs. MDI has also been first in India to get SAQS (South Asia Quality Accreditation).
Energy Management is a unique offering from MDI. It is an exclusive industry-focused programme which addresses the dare need of highly skilled business professionals to sail through the management challenges in the Energy and Power Sector. In 2011 it became possibly the only programme with AMBA accreditation targeted at Energy Sector
Energy (including Power) is possibly the most critical input to rapid economic growth and development of an economy. The accelerated growth unlashed since the 1990s & early 2000s have led to major initiatives which are structurally changing the policy environment.
Energy sector in India is passing through critical times. India’s growth aspiration would be severely affected due to constraints in energy supply. Keeping in mind the bourgeoning demand-supply gap in an energy starved nation like India, which is further distorted by wasteful management practices, there is an immense investment scope in energy infrastructure and energy management in an environmental friendly manner. MDI became the pioneer by launching programme to train professionals in the areas of energy management. This program was launched in 2005 to address these issues with the help of USAID and Ministry of Power. Over the last year its domain has been broadened from power to other spheres of energy namely oil & gas, coal, carbon market, energy efficiency etc.
Through this programme we also aspire to meet our social responsibilities.
Need to evolve policy environment as per the needs of the Indian economy. For this the important aspect is
- sustainability and efficiency to manage demand side
- tariff design and competition to coordinate demand & Supply
- quality and reliability on supply side
- Environmental and sustainability Aspects
- 2005 – Programme started with the support from Ministry of Power (Government of India) and U.S.A.I.D. India under DRUM* project with the purpose of demonstrating “the best commercial and technological practices that improve the quality and reliability of last mile power distribution in urban and rural areas of the country”.
- 2005/6 – 2007/8 – Sponsored by the USAID (through PFC) under the DRUM Project
- 2008/9 – Programme became self sustaining
- 2008 - MoU with HAREDA
- 2010 - MOU with Schneider Electric
- 2011 - AMBA Accreditation in
- ESCP, Europe tie up for Energy management Programme in 2011
- Attract the best minds from industry & train them in the area of energy management, infrastructure finance, leadership role etc.to fulfill the needs of energy sector
- Industry & government participation at highest level to keep track of the changes in Energy & Power Sector
- To help develop turnaround capabilities in public sector energy companies and state electricity boards
- Lessons learnt from advanced energy markets
- Develop short term programme related to energy sector as per industry requirement
- Carry out Action-oriented Research in emerging fields of Energy Management with active industry participation
- to develop international tie-up especially with institutions which are doing work and research in this area
- Power Distribution companies
- Oil Marketing companies
- Power generation companies
- Oil Exploring and transporting companies
- Power Transmission companies
- Energy/Power Infrastructures financing companies
- Energy/Power Equipment manufacturers and service providers in the energy sector
- IT service providers for utilities and energy Sector
- Consultancy firms and companies operating in the fields of energy management including emerging fields of energy efficiency, renewable energy, clean coal technologies, CDM, sustainable development etc.
- NGOs and government agencies working in the areas of energy management such as energy efficiency, new & renewable energy, clean energy technologies, biofuels, sustainable development etc.